School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering

Travel and research expenses

Research students must consult their supervisor about funding for proposed research travel, before submitting a conference paper or arranging a visit to another research lab.

You may be personally liable for the cost of your travel if you don’t do this. Conference travel and other research travel costs for PhD students are intended to be funded from the following sources:

  1. Travel grants
  2. Scholarship provision
  3. Research grants
  4. Specific awards

Travel grants

PhD students are eligible for one overseas or interstate travel grant during their candidature. The School will provide funds to students who have successfully applied for a UWA travel grant. (Note: this practice is currently under review - please check with the School Office)

Back to top

Scholarship provision

Some scholarships (such as Gledden, CRC top-ups, some APAIs, CSIRO top-ups) include provision for research costs, such as travel, that students can access.

Back to top

Research grants

A student associated with a particular research grant (usually with the supervisor as a CI) may be able to use funds from that grant for research costs.

Back to top

Specific awards

There may be other travel awards offered by specific conferences, or expenses offered by an institution being visited.

Students should discuss possible funding for conference attendance with their supervisors before submitting a paper to a conference to avoid a situation where papers are accepted but the author doesn't attend.

Back to top


School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering

This Page

Last updated:
Friday, 31 January, 2014 4:24 PM